Wisdom Teeth Removal: Treatment & Aftercare
Wisdom teeth removal is one of the most important dental procedures you will receive from your dentist. It is a process that determines your future dental outlook or that of your child. As such, you must make sure you pick a reputable, highly trained and experienced family dentist to avoid complications.
Established Calgary dental clinics offer this specialized dental care service. At the clinic, your dentist will either use general anesthesia, sedation anesthesia or the common local anesthesia injected near the site of extraction. An incision is then made to expose the tooth before it is extracted.
Once extraction is complete, the dentist will clean the tooth area and gum and if necessary stitches the wound for enhanced healing. All this is done using sterilized equipment and materials to avoid infection.
Treatment and Aftercare
After extraction, treatment using antibiotics to avoid infection is critical. More importantly, you will need to follow these aftercare instructions:
• Use a gauge given by the dentist to avoid excessive bleeding and promote healing.
• Treat any pain with medication prescribed by the dentist. A cold pack against your jaw also works magic after wisdom teeth removal.
• Avoid strenuous activity, fibrous foods or other activity that might remove the blood clot leading to more bleeding. More importantly, don’t brush or rinse your mouth as this will dislodge the blood clot leading to slow healing.
• Drink lots of beverages, but avoid alcohol and caffeine for a day or two.
• Call your dentist in case of increased swelling after 3 days, if there is excessive bleeding, fever or any other condition that was not existent before your visit to the dentist.
If you are looking for wisdom teeth removal services in Calgary, call us now on (403) 254-0406.