5 Reasons to Ditch Your Dentures for Dental Implants
Dentures have been used for many years to help people with missing teeth regain their smiles and dental functions. However, advancements in technology have meant improvements in care and even greater choice when it comes to oral care. Dental implants are now becoming the treatment of choice amongst dental clinics when it comes to tooth replacement.
There are many benefits that dental implants provide over dentures. These include:
1. Stability – they are non-removable and fixed. They do not slip around or shift when you’re speaking or eating. Once they are fixed, they will not fall out. You therefore need not worry about any socially awkward moments when your teeth might fall out. You also don’t have to worry about having to remove them in the nighttime and wearing them in the daytime. Because they are fixed and can’t be removed, they are designed to be cleaned just as you would normal teeth.
2. Comfortable – they are designed to be very comfortable. They feel just like natural teeth. They do not cause irritation to the gums. They do not cause any pain either. Like with natural teeth, the force of chewing food is transmitted directly to the jaw bone underneath. Dentures on the other hand transmit this force to the gums therefore causing a great deal of pain, and making eating uncomfortable for the wearer.
3. Long lasting – they offer a durable solution that requires minimal maintenance. Once they are implanted, there is no need for restoration or replacement. These teeth replacement treatments can last for more than 20 years without restoration or replacement. They are the perfect solution for those who don’t want to spend the rest of their lives in and out of dental clinics.
4. Retain healthy jaws – they keep your jaw bone stimulated and living just as natural teeth do. They therefore prevent the jaw bone from atrophying. Studies have shown that implants have a 95% success rate in patients. Patient in studies, over a 10 year period, came through without losing a significant amount of the tissue in their bones. Dentures on the other hand are known to result in degeneration of the jaw bone. They also result in receding gums.
5. Increased confidence and self-esteem – they are designed to look and feel like natural teeth. These teeth replacement treatments therefore ensure that your natural smile is restored following the loss of teeth. They allow you to have a healthy and natural looking smile. They also contribute to preserving your youthful facial contours.
If you have dentures, contact your dentist as soon as possible and find out about having dental implants.They will not only improve your oral health, but will improve your overall quality of life.